*Information Provided Compliments of Appleton Home Health, DiMi Nursing Service and DiMi Senior Living Referral Service

Veterans Aid and Attendance

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension.  Since Aid and Attendance and Housebound allowances increase the pension amount, people who are not eligible for a basic pension due to excessive income may be eligible for pension at these increased rates.

The Aid and Attendance (A&A) Pension provides benefits for veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing and undressing or taking care of the needs of nature. It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity. Assisted care in an assisting living facility also qualifies. To qualify for A&A it needs to be established by your physician that you require daily assistance by others to dress, undress, bathing, cooking, eating, taking on or off of prosthetics, leave home etc. You DO NOT have to require assistance with all of these. There simply needs to be adequate medical evidence that you cannot function completely on your own.  The A&A Pension can provide up to $1,788 per month to a veteran, $1,149 per month to a surviving spouse, or $2,120 per month to a couple*.  A Veteran filing with a Sick Spouse is eligible for up to $1,406 per month*. Many families overlook the A&A Pension as it pertains to veterans who are still independent, but have an ill spouse. Keep in mind that in this situation, if the spouse’s medical expenses completely depleted their combined monthly income, the Veteran can file as a Veteran with a sick spouse.

Eligibility for Veterans Aid and Attendance Pension:

  • Any War-Time Veteran with 90 days of active duty, 1 day beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension.
  • A surviving spouse (marriage must have ended due to death of veteran) of a War-Time Veteran may also apply. The individual applying must qualify both medically and financially.
  • To qualify medically, a War-Time Veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, etc. Being blind or in a nursing home for mental or physical incapacity, or residing in an assisted living facility also qualifies.
  • To qualify financially, an applicant must have on average less than $80,000 in assets, EXCLUDING their home and vehicles.

Information Needed to Apply for Pension:

  • Discharge/Separation Papers (DD-214).
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate and all marital information.
  • Copy of the Death Certificate (surviving spouses only).
  • Copy of current Social Security Award Letter (the letter that Social Security sends at the beginning of the year stating what your monthly amount will be for the following year).
  • Net Worth information, including bank accounts, CDs, Trusts, Stocks, Bonds, Annuities, etc.
  • Proof of all income from pensions, retirement, interest income from investments, annuities, etc.
  • If you are a court-appointed guardian of the veteran or surviving spouse, a certified copy of the court order of the appointment is required.
  • Proof of insurance premiums, medications, medical bills or any other medical expenses that are not reimbursed by insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.
  • Physician that includes current diagnosis, medical status, prognosis, name and address, ability to care for self, ability to travel unattended, etc. If you are a veteran in a nursing home, or a family member of a veteran in a nursing home, you can use form found on VeteranAid.org
  • Banking information for Direct Deposit of A&A monthly payments (include a voided check).
  • Employment history (does not apply if you are over 65).
  • List of all doctors and hospitals visited in the last year.

Once you have this information compiled, you will need to obtain and complete VA Form 21-527EZ and/or VA Form 21-534EZ for Special Improved benefits with Aid & Attendance.

Forms, Mailing information and Additional Information can be found at the following websites :

Veterans Association Official Website:


Veterans Aide Non- Profit Website:


Additional Local Resources:

Palm Beach County Human and Veterans Services

810 Datura Street

West Palm Beach, FL 33401


Broward County Elderly and Veteran Services:

2995 North Dixie Hwy

Ft Lauderdale, FL 33334-2640


Martin County Veteran Services:

435 SE Flagler Ave

Stuart, FL 34994


St Lucie County Veterans Services Division:

1664 S.E. Walton Rd, Suite 205

Port St Lucie, FL 34952


Appleton Home Health and our sister companies Dimi Nursing and Dimi Senior Referral Service are pleased to have the opportunity to work with you and your family.  We have been in business in South Florida for over 15 years.  We value our relationship with our client’s and look forward to working with you and your family for many years to come.  Please contact us if we can assist you anyway.   

Appleton Home Health is a Medicare Certified Home Health Agency providing our patient’s with Medically Necessary services including Skilled Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and Medical Social Workers.  Services Provided are Covered at 100% under Original Medicare.  Contact Appleton at 561-200-0255

DiMi Nursing Service is a Private Duty Service that assists our clients with Activities of Daily Living, Light Housekeeping, Chores and Transportation. We have Home Health Aides, CNA’s and Nurses available to assist patients with these and many other non-skilled services not covered by Medical Insurance.  We accept Private Pay, Long Term Care Insurance and Credit Cards. Veteran’s Aid and Attendance Pension can be used to cover the cost of private duty servicesContact DiMi at 561-278-2784

DiMi Senior Living Referral Service is a FREE service providing our clients and their families with assistance finding an Assisted Living, Independent Living or Skilled Nursing Facility.  We also work with our clients to provide information regarding programs and pensions like Veterans Aid and Attendance that can cover the cost or supplement the cost of Senior Living Communities.  Contact DiMi at 561-278-2784